Monday, November 24, 2008

A Bouquet of Swiss Chard


On Saturday, Jase and I were visiting a craft sale that included a booth selling local fresh produce. On our way out the door, the farmer handed us this gorgeous handful of chard (as a bonus present!), with yellow, pink, orange and red stems. Since we didn't have a big enough bag, we ended up walking down Commercial Drive with the chard in hand, and also riding the bus with all this plumage. What a conversation starter...everyone wants to talk about rainbow vegetables and their beauty.


After Jase was gone, I had nothing but the chard to comfort me in his absence. So I simply steamed the leafy greens (and reds and pinks and yellows and oranges) in a bamboo vegetable steamer. I added a little sesame oil and soy sauce...

...and Jase, it was delicious!

No comments: