Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Finally I typed out my mom's Paska recipe


Everyone loves my mom's paska (Mennonite Easter Bread) recipe and I make it every year. You'll recall my post from 3 years ago where I was very lazy and did not type it out, but merely photographed the recipe card. Well, now, finally here it is. Worth the wait, yes? Yes.

Enjoy all. Thanks Mom. Happy Easter everyone!

My Mom's Paska Recipe

First thing:
2 TBSP (envelopes) yeast
2 tsp sugar
1/2 warm (NOT HOT) water

Mix and let rise 10-15 minutes

Second thing:
1.5 c. scalded milk. So, scald the milk. Get it really hot, but not boiling.

Third thing:
1/2 c. margarine/butter
1/2 oil
1//3 c. sugar
1tsp salt

Add these things to the scalded milk, allow to cool until warm (not too hot, will kill the yeast), then add to yeast mixture.

Fourth thing:
2 beaten eggs
rind of 1 orange
juice of 1 orange

Add to above mixture.
Add 2 c. flour. Beat well.

Fifth thing:
Add more flour (5-5 1/2 cups) to make a soft dough. Knead thoroughly. Let rise about 1 1/2 hour (until double) in a warm spot.

Six thing:
Form dough into paskas (I usually make 5 smaller or 4 larger with this recipe) and let rise another 1/2-1 hour.

Seventh thing:
BAke for 25-30 minutes at 375'F

Eighth thing:
Ice as desired (I use a cream cheese, butter, icing sugar, milk, splash of orange juice mix) and ENJOY!!

2 comments:

claire said...

Yummm. I guess now, I could actually make Paska without you, but I can't imagine why I'd ever want to do that!

PS - I added one my Paska photos to your post. :)

c-licious said...

Claire, thanks for the photo. And I would be devastated if you made this yourself instead of allowing me to feed it to you. (This blog post is more for my own reference in the future, don't you dare make it without me come to think of it).

:)