Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Baked Macaroni

Baked macaroni ranks right up there with my all-time favourite comfort foods. There's never a time when I don't feel like eating it. I've made it so many times now that I don't remember how or where I learned this recipe, I just seem to know it in my bones.

Make the topping
  • 1.5 to 2 c bread crumbs
  • 2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
  • 1/2 c grated parmesan
  • 3 tbsp chopped parsley
  • 1/2 c melted butter
  • salt and pepper to taste
Mix all the ingredients, adding butter last. Set aside in a bowl.

Make a mornay sauce
  • 1/2 c butter
  • 1/4 diced onion
  • 2tbsp flour
  • 1.5 c warm milk
  • 2 c grated cheddar
  • salt to taste
Melt butter and saute onion until translucent. Gradually stir in flour. Let sizzle for a bit. Add milk gradually, whisking all the while. On medium-low heat, whisk once in a while until the sauce thickens. Once thick, turn burner off and add cheddar. Mix until the cheese is melted.

Cook the macaroni
  • 2 c macaroni
Boil the macaroni for 6-7 minutes. Should be al dente.

Bake
Layer cooked macaroni and sauce in a buttered casserole dish. Pour in remaining sauce and stir until all pasta is coated. Pour on topping and pat down a bit.

Bake for 35ish minutes at 400ish. I usually keep it covered until the last 5ish minutes.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

1 comment:

c-licious said...

Hello Blog Queen!
Never mind the Baked Macaroni being the best ever, those pics on the post are the best ever!
Love that you love it so.